Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cant Shake New York Outta My Hair, Part One

New York is something else. As a child, New York was like summer camp, since we really only went in the summer. We stayed with Charlotte our older foxy dentist cousin who would wear my sister and me like accessories. She lived in a swish condo on the upper east side. Groceries were delivered. She had a closet of shoes. And a marble bathroom as big as my sister's and my bedroom in Chicago. This was when I saw certain movies at too far of a young brain like Goodfellas. Then as I grew much older, I made friends who later moved to such nice places like Chelsea and the West Village. So New York only existed there, on the island. Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens were all lead to believe they were as far as the suburbs. Nay they were not. This trip, this fine trip I just returned from maybe for the first time, made me realize how truly grotesquely enormous New York City is. It also made me miss a big city tremendously, almost achingly. Seattle is a small town in comparison to Chicago, New York, London. Its the pace I desperately miss. And aaaaaaaall the different sounds and colors.

Trav and I took the red eye in but on different planes. I could only stay for a few days and he was going to make his way to DC then to the Richmond Rally which I hear is thee funnest rally known to man. With barely any sleep thanks to the failure of the melatonin I took and sitting too far from the front (note: I do everything in my power to sit as close to the front of the plane so I can get the hell off as soon as possible as I hate waiting and watching people wait to get the hell off the plane) I found Trav at LGA and we hopped on a bus to Queens.

Queens is wonderfully filled with elderly immigrants. They wear lots of clothing at all times ALL TIMES even when youre completely pitted out they stay under their black scarves and thick nude colored stockings. And they live in rent controlled apartments. Should you ask how much they pay, they'll reply TOO MUCH or maybe $300 a month. Anyway. I wish I had xray vision because this would be a hoot, or I would go insane.



So we dropped off our things at Katie and Akiva's very cute apartment. K+A are Travs bffs from college days. They are from Chicago originally which made me instantly more interested (apart from Katie and I being already destined to be friends). I think Travis was christened a Chicago OG by Akiva because really, he is. ANYWAY, we hardly napped and made our way to see my favorite only fake brother, CQ. I have known him for many many many years and really do believe he is my brother. So without hesitation we headed to meet him at Westville East which is just kinda ok of a restaurant. On our way there, with pinball at the forefront of our minds, and taking mostly side streets HARK. RAPTURE.



WHAT THE HALE?! I THOUGHT NY DIDNT HAVE ANY PINBALL!
And holy shit. My most favorite game in the most perfect shape, Doctor Who.



We chitchatted excitedly with everyone in the store. WHAT YOU GUYS FROM PORTLAND OR SOMETHIN?
NAY SEATTLE. And with a nod of acceptance we played. And recommended more places with more machines. THANK YOU RECIPROCAL.



And so we finally met up with CQ and it was always a pure delight. Why I dont have a photo of him right here, I apologize.
But here is my lunch. Looks good but I give it 6 out of 11.



After lunch we met up with Travs twin cousins Phoebe and Claire. Usually twins freak me the fuck out but jesus these girls were hilarious. But you know whats not hilarious? The weekly teamsters meeting at the cafe. YIKES.



Quickly afterwards, we ran by to see my old friend Adam which was short and sweet, then headed to disgusting SOHO to shop. I dont know. I just had to see it and TOPSHOP since I miss it so much but then quickly realized that its nothing like Oxford Circus' TOPSHOP which made me instantly sad.

Anything but Broadway please.



We passed so many wonderful signs. Here is my favorite, but not because its my favorite kind of meal.



We finally met up with Katie and Akiva. I really adore them. HOW COULD YOU NOT.



Of all the food we ate, this place, and another which Ill mention in CSNYOMH, Part Two ranked tops. Vanessa's Dumplings was the best thing I had in a while (minus the party banh mi from months ago). Quick and cheap and packed and schweatty it was so worth it. Delicious chinese morsels of dough and things, sesame pancakes and buns. Gad dammit its so good and if youve never been Im so very very sorry and feel very sorry for you.




STAY TUNED FOR NEW YORK PART TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!







1 comment:

  1. "made our way to see my favorite only fake brother, CQ"

    Oh sure, I guess I'm cut out of your will now. Thanks, FAKE SISTER.

    ReplyDelete

My Fangs